Monday, August 01, 2005

My grandfather - the Nazi

BBC article about Dan Tetsell, a British citizen, who discovered that his grandfather was in Hitler's SS in the second world war. But his grandfather wasnt your common bureaucratic Nazi type sitting behind a desk - he was in the elite of elite SS regiments - the Liebstandarte

Dan Tetsell's show Sins of the Grandfathers will be running at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe from 4-28 August.

The most compelling quote for me in the article is this one, where Dan Tetsell says:

"If it shows that my grandfather can not only stand aside while bad things happen but actively take part, then it could happen to any of us. It's a lesson that's been taught again and again, but in this anniversary year it's worth hearing again."

I couldn't have put it better myself.